Gifts are given for birthdays and Christmas or the Epiphany (January 6th). In Colombia a girl’s 15th birthday is considered an important milestone.
If you plan to give gifts in Colombia, here are some handy tips:
* When going to a Colombian’s home, bring fruit, a potted plant, or quality chocolates for the hostess.
* Flowers should be sent in advance.
* Do not give lilies or marigolds as they are used at funerals. Roses are liked.
* If you are going to a girls 15th birthday, gold is the usual gift.
* Imported alcohol (especially spirits) are very expensive and make excellent gifts.
* Wrapped gifts are not opened when received.
Most of the birthday celebration specifics I found revolve around a 15 year old girl’s Quinceañera – this tradition is celebrated in many Latin American countries.
Here’s a link to specific information on a Colombian culture blog –